Bridgeport Man Gets Over 10 Years In Federal Prison For Armed Robbery Spree

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. -- A 30-year-old Bridgeport man was sentenced Tuesday to 121 months of imprisonment, followed by three years of supervised release, for participating in an armed robbery spree in 2014.

A Bridgeport man has been sentenced to 121 months in prison for his role in a robbery spree.
A Bridgeport man has been sentenced to 121 months in prison for his role in a robbery spree. Photo Credit: File

The sentence was handed down to Derrick Gilliam by Chief U.S. District Judge Janet C. Hall in Bridgeport in connection with seven holdups that occurred from April to July 2014.

Based on court documents and statements made in court, the crime spree began on April 26, 2014, when Gilliam, along with Lancelot Supersad and others, committed an armed robbery of the CVS Pharmacy on Grasmere Avenue in Fairfield, stealing about $2,376.

On May 3, 2014, they attempted an armed robbery of the Mobil Gas station on Noble Avenue in Bridgeport, prosecutors said.

The spree continued on May 10, 2014, when they committed an armed robbery of a Webster Bank branch on Main Street in Bridgeport, stealing $4,170, according to prosecutors.

On June 1, 2014, Gilliam, Supersad and others committed an armed robbery of a Pizza Hut on Boston Avenue in Bridgeport, stealing $250, prosecutors said.

Next, on June 26, 2014, Gilliam, Supersad, Anthony Santiago and others committed an armed robbery at the Residence Inn on Bridgeport Avenue in Shelton, stealing $200, according to prosecutors.

Prosecutors said Gilliam, Supersad, Santiago and others were involved in two incidents on July 2, 2014: the attempted armed robbery of the Sikorsky Financial Credit Union on Oronoque Lane in Stratford, and the armed robbery of the TD Bank on Post Road East in Westport.

Gilliam brandished and pointed what appeared to be a handgun at employees during each of the seven robberies, prosecutors said.

Along with the prison sentence, Hall ordered Gilliam to pay $12,100 in restitution.

Gilliam has been detained since his arrest July 3, 2014.

On July 28, 2016, he pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to affect commerce by robbery.

Supersad and Santiago pleaded guilty to the same charge and await sentencing.

The investigation was conducted by the FBI and the Westport, Shelton, Fairfield, Stratford and Bridgeport Police Departments.

The case was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Douglas P. Morabito and Avi M. Perry.

to follow Daily Voice Bridgeport and receive free news updates.