A hoverboard electric skateboard erupted in flames at a home in Westchester County, N.Y., the latest of several similar incidents reported around the country, drawing concern about the popular gift item.
Since the Chappaqua Fire Department announced the fire Sunday, neighboring fire departments have shared the news.
The hoverboard fire in Chappaqua involved a Swagway Smart Balancing Electric Skateboard Black, officials said. The item sells at Amazon.com for $399 but its retail price is listed as $499.
Hoverboard fires have been reported in various states, some causing significant damage to homes.
One possible cause for the fires, according to NBC Nightly News, is the use of cheap lithium-ion batteries. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating the matter, NBC reported.
In Chappaqua, the local fire led to "considerable smoke damage to the residence," the fire department said in its announcement.
The residents were home at the time, the fire department said. But had they not been present their home "would have sustained severe damage," the department said.
If people are considering buying hoverboards for the holiday season, Chappaqua Fire Chief Russell Maitland advises would-be shoppers to wait until the cause of the problem is identified and resolved. For those who have already purchased hoverboards, Maitland advises that they be returned to where they were bought.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.