This means all Bridgeport public library branches and senior centers as well as the Greater Bridgeport Transit Terminal will be open during the day as warming centers. In addition, the United Congregational Church located at 877 Park Ave. will serve as an overflow shelter for anyone in need of a warm shelter during the extreme cold temperatures expected to impact the region for the next two days.
“With frigid weather expected to drop temperatures to sub-zero levels and extreme wind chill, everyone who needs shelter during the day or night will have a warm place to go and a warm bed to sleep in,” Ganim said. “We want to make sure everyone who needs a place to go will start making plans now.”
Warming Centers will be open during the day at the following locations and times:· Greater Bridgeport Transit Bus Terminal - 710 Water St., Bridgeport (7 a.m.-8 p.m.)
Senior Centers (Open only weekdays):
· East Side Senior Center- 1057 E. Main St. (9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
· Black Rock Senior Center- 2676 Fairfield Ave. (9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
· North End Bethany Senior Center - 20 Throme St. (9 a.m.-4:30 p.m.)
Bridgeport Public Library Branches:
· Main Branch – 925 Broad St. (10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 1-5 p.m. Sunday)
· Black Rock Branch – 2705 Fairfield Ave. (10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday)
· Newfield Branch – 1230 Stratford Ave. (10 a.m.–5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday)
· North Branch – 3455 Madison Ave. (10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday)
· Old Mill Green Branch – 1677 E. Main St. (10 a.m.-5 p.m. Thursday-Saturday)
In order to register to stay at the United Congregational Church, people can arrive at the Fairfield Apartments at 1062 Fairfield Ave. from 4 to 6 p.m.
After 9 p.m., those in need of shelter can go directly to Prospect House located at 392 Prospect St. or call 211.
Click here to follow Daily Voice Bridgeport and receive free news updates.